Why do humans have an appendix?

Brushra

This question has always bothered me since my pre teen days. I need views on this guys. Why do we have an appendix?

What is its function in the human body?

Attachments

Riley09

I checked it out online and they all speak of evolutionary theories suggesting that it helps in digestion. The question now is how?

Bennett

I checked it out online and they all speak of evolutionary theories suggesting that it helps in digestion. The question now is how?
Yeah! Scientists say that the appendix once had an obvious use but we kinda evolved out of it..

Noah

We don't need it anyway, I had mine removed a while ago when it almost killed me

Edwards

What organs?😅
Vestigial organs of course. You never heard of them?

These are parts of the body that once had a function but are now more-or-less useless. Probably the most famous example is the appendix, though it is now an open question whether the appendix is really vestigial.

Although I also believe the appendix is a vestigal organ though.. Evolution!!

Dixon

Vestigial organs of course. You never heard of them?

These are parts of the body that once had a function but are now more-or-less useless. Probably the most famous example is the appendix, though it is now an open question whether the appendix is really vestigial.

Although I also believe the appendix is a vestigal organ though.. Evolution!!
Another example of a vestigial organ?

Armstrong

The pyramidalis muscle, the palmaris longus muscle, Auricular muscle and the Nictating membrane in the inner corner of the human eye are also good examples of vestigial organs..