Why do anti-psychotic drugs cause weight gain?

Atkinson

Why do anti-psychotic drugs cause weight gain? Can testosterone cause mania? What's different about bipolar 1 brains?

Albert

Weight gain question: many atypical antipsychotics have a side effect in common- metabolic syndrome. this is a symptom cluster, a combination of obesity, diabetes, hypercholesterolemia, high blood pressure.

This roots from a higher appetite, that originates from the H1-receptor antagonism and the 5HT2A-Receptor-antagonism.

Patients who are treated with atypical antipsychotics have to be taught about the dangers of the metabolic syndrome and advised to eat a healthy diet and exercise.

Atkinson

I had a manic episode and got diagnosed with bipolar 1 but I have no family history of mental illness...the only thing i was doing was eating healthy and exercising a lot to try and increase testosterone to combat depression so maybe my brain is somehow different.

Atkinson

We don't understand the pathogenesis (emergence of the illness) fully yet. That's why we can only treat the symptoms. Broadly speaking, the following can play a role: -genetic -social -anatomic (changes in the prefrontal and temporal cortex as well as hippocampus) -biochemical factors (changes in the functions of neurotransmitters and the downstream signal transduction (G-protein/Phospholipase C coupled receptors may be overactivated).

Albert

Why don't you think exercise increases testosterone? Or you're just not sure? @Albert
Because testosterone production mainly depends on the hypothalamic-pituitary control loop.

If exercise has an effect on testosterone production, it would be secondary or marginal.