What's the best way to keep up with medical news?

I feel like I'm always behind when it comes off to medical news - either due to lack of knowledge of HOW to find the resources tbh, or lack of effort of finding them because I always distract myself.

Which begs the question: What's the best way to keep up with medical news?

Allen

When we become 3rd and 4th year here, or know which specialty we definitely be going into, we get membership to the branch, like AAFP for family practice, or AAEM for emergency medicine, and we get newsletters which keep us up to date.

We also have access to journal articles and the latest studies.

(Only problem is finding the time to read them all)

Fox

Global is a little harder. Since as mentioned by Allen above, being in the field means you actually are required to keep within the times of your guidelines.. etc. Personally, I find just searching and picking things up here and there from reputable sources being the best. Documentaries as well do a good number

Davies

Once you've completed your specialty training, you are required to attend conferences which will include updates on topics that aren't even published yet. These includes new evidence or clinical trials in development which is a good way of staying up to date. Also, most conferences will give away a free publication from said specialty.

However, some conference cost $$$.

Though many employers will give a certain amount of funding to doctors and such. It's one major advantage of being a doctor - training budgets are much larger than other specialities, followed by nursing.

AHPs are usually left to the dregs.

Right. I would imagine so.

How do you guys keep on top of updated regulations on your respective specialities?

Do they send out like a big red book saying 'READ THIS PLEASE'?

As I am in a fairly niche field, I am lucky - I have a journal and a magazine that I read (well, it's more than a magazine, but it's not a journal) and in regards to legislation changes, I just read it.

NICE publishes guidelines, so I do read them when I am interested in something. My journal comes through my membership to the college of radiographers, which gets me physical copies of Radiography and imaging and therapy practise.

Fox

I'd imagine it's not so different for NHS nurses right Term? We have to have CPD points yearly here as well.

Yeah, it's not that different for nurses. Except you have a shitload of resources to choose from. Also your hospital is a tertiary centre, major academic hub, etc. I imagine their library includes a good range of staff access stuff.

Fox

It seems pedantic for new comers. It did for me when I started.. but now, it's a blessing in disguise. Yeah it's annoying but medicine is ever changing. And to be behind only gets you into trouble in the long run. So I like your attitude moo, and asking these questions will give you a great advantage when things get real.

Davies

For specialties, if there is ever a major change in protocol or even updates on societal guidelines, they will send you an email about such. So it its always helpful to mind these announcements.

Davies

Example, there was a recent update tonthe AJCC scoring from 7th to 8th. Adaptation of the 8th was optional by January 2017, mandatory by January 2018. This was after a thorough dissemination of the update.

Fox

That's awesome, Term. here, we don't get that many emails. More.. in services. Pamphlets. A little behind, in my opinion.