What is the likelihood of malaria repeating itself after treatment, how many weeks or months intervals?

James

Recently, I treated myself of malaria and I was surprised that in less than 2 weeks, I have to treat myself of malaria again after my pharmacist recommended a new drug that was in town which I don't want to mention here. I took the drugs and the fever subsided but in less than a week, I fell ill again to the same malaria after a series of tests and yes, I followed the required dosage for the previous treatment. My major worry now is that what is the likelihood of malaria repeating itself after treatment, how many weeks or months intervals?

Nia

Usually, symptoms appear within the first several weeks after the infected mosquito bites you. In people with P. vivax or P. ovale infections, it is possible for some Plasmodium parasites to remain inside the liver. If this happens, dormant parasite forms can become active and trigger malaria symptoms months or years after the first exposure.

Recently, I treated myself of malaria and I was surprised that in less than 2 weeks, I have to treat myself of malaria again after my pharmacist recommended a new drug that was in town which I don't want to mention here. I took the drugs and the fever subsided but in less than a week, I fell ill again to the same malaria after a series of tests and yes, I followed the required dosage for the previous treatment. My major worry now is that what is the likelihood of malaria repeating itself after treatment, how many weeks or months intervals?

Exposure to mosquitoes is likely to make malaria come back again after you've experienced it the first time. So, you need to be careful about how you handle such situations next time. Sickness doesn't need an interval as long as you repeat the same mistake.

Ember

All depends on how often you expose yourself to mosquito bites and how effective your last treatment was.

Jimmy Scott

The number of weeks or months depend on so many factors, including the degree of exposure. By the way, I thought you wanted to ask about how to prevent it instead.

Fatima

It came back to you after a week. That's the time you're looking for.

Londyn

From what I know, it depends on the causative organism. Malaria caused by Plasmodium Vivax and can always repeat itself, even in the same year after treatment. The one caused by Plasmodium Falciparum (mostly in Africa) doesn't repeat itself after infection.
Hey? May I know if you're a doctor so that I ask for a hand in something here? Your post looks as mature as a doctor's.

Benson36

As long as you took your meds as at when due, the likelihood is going to be far.

Sylvester Kelly

Recently, I treated myself of malaria and I was surprised that in less than 2 weeks, I have to treat myself of malaria again after my pharmacist recommended a new drug that was in town which I don't want to mention here. I took the drugs and the fever subsided but in less than a week, I fell ill again to same malaria after a series of tests and yes, I followed the required dosage for the previous treatment. My major worry now is that what is the likelihood of malaria repeating itself after treatment, how many weeks or months intervals?

From my experience, just a month.

John Francis

Depending on the kind of medicine you took for the treatment, how you completed the dosage and how you expose your body to subsequent mosquitoes bites, goes a long way in determining when you will repeat your treatment again.

Patricia Childs

Exposure to mosquitoes is likely to make malaria come back again after you've experienced it the first time. So, you need to be careful about how you handle such situations next time. Sickness doesn't need an interval as long as you repeat the same mistake.
This is the problem of most African countries. They are suffering infestation of mosquitoes and they are the chief source of malaria in the country.