What are NSAIDs?

Kailey Molina

Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs (or NSAR = non steroidal anti rheumatics). They are things like Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Indomethacin, Celecoxib, etc. They are all inhibiting the COX (an enzyme that it essential to produce prostaglandins, prostacyclin and thromboxane).

Prostaglandins are local hormones that are produced when needed (not stored). They have many many different effects, but which specific effect they have is determined by the localization of the hormones. They act only on the area they are produced in, they don't travel far.

Prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) for example is synthesized in the brain (hypothalamus, regulates the temperature) and cause fever. That's why we get fever for example if we are sick.

Prostaglandins are also protecting the stomach. The fact, that prostaglandins have so many effects, is also a problem. Inhibiting the production of the prostaglandins with NSAIDs can reduce fever, but it can also lead to stomach ulcers.

Ricardo

I heard the term once. I thought I should ask here what it means.
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are medicines that are widely used to relieve pain, reduce inflammation, and bring down a high temperature. They're often used to relieve symptoms of headaches, painful periods, sprains and strains, colds and flu, arthritis, and other causes of long-term pain.