Should plastic surgery be regulated?

We have to discuss the use and misuse of plastic surgery in today's world. I want to hear your opinion on the topic.

Should plastic surgery be regulated?

Dixon

What additional regulations do you think there should be? I think it's in a fairly decent shape to be honest.

They don't like the way their nose looks... save up some money and get a nose job.

What about the one where the girl wanted to look like Barbie? She had multiple surgeries to change her facial features.

That's not well regulated, in my opinion.

Dixon

I don't think those operations should have been carried out, but the decision was made by the surgeon who knows the patient and s/he's using their judgement to decide if the procedure is appropriate etc.

Dixon

That was part of it, but if the patient develops complications, or has regrets, and the surgeon was found to be complacent or didn't use due diligence, they're in a lot of trouble.

You can't just say "well the patient wanted it and was going to pay for it", you still have to justify the operations.

I'm trying to find recent regulations, but I'm getting articles from 2002.

Do you have the recent guidelines and regulations?

Dixon

I don't think there's any specific rules for it, it's covered by the same principles you have for any treatment of any condition
do no harm, informed consent, capacity, etc

I know for bariatric procedures, there has to be health benefit, and some procedures require the patients to have tried regular weight loss methods.

Dixon

it's easy to consider them crazy, but remember that the principles of consent allow people to end their own lives if they refuse certain procedures, this isn't such a big leap of the imagination to consider this as a person making their own decisions.

Dixon

She had a very clear image of what she wanted, she was able to explain it, she knew that it wasn't conventional and she knew she mightn't be supported.

It's not really all that different from someone wanting to transition etc.