Serotonin syndrome with lithium carbonate possible or not?

Adams

Serotonin syndrome with lithium carbonate possible or not? Also symptoms of lithium toxicity?

Albert

No, there's no risk of a serotonin syndrome. At the neural level, lithium reduces excitatory activity. So there is even less serotonin being released into the synaptic gap.

Atkinson

I have just read that Lithium can increase the activity of serotonin on its receptor. So there is the possibility and it's listed as one of substances that can make a serotonin syndrome (in combination.) But it's also controversial whether it should be on the list.

The risky combination are any of these substance groups: MAO-Inhibitors
SSRI
SSNRI
Triptans

Adams

Ok, I’ve had serotonin syndrome before and I’m always confused about it. I was also told by my pharmacist that Hydrocodone and Ondansetron can contribute as well. Any experience with these?

Atkinson

Yes Ondansetron and Opioids are also on that list.

I am kind of surprised how many substances "could" make a serotonin syndrome (in combination).

Albert

Ondansetron and Opioids can be given with other serotonergic substances, but with higher attention on dosage and weighing the risks. For MAO Inhibitors the risk of a serotonin-syndrome is the highest: substances like tranylcypromine have to strictly separated from SSRI. Switching from one therapy to the other has to take place after a 2 week pause.