MSLT (multiple sleep latency test) question

Singh

MSLT (multiple sleep latency test) question, I just went to the doc to discuss the results today but I thought of this after I already got home. XP I did not enter REM during any of my naps. Has anyone heard of that being significant? The doc mentioned it and seemed to think it was strange but I was so tired I couldn't really follow a lot of what he was saying. I'll have to ask him to explain again at the next appt but I'm curious if anyone here knows anything.

Mandarine

Hmm not going into REM would be more of an IH thing I think?

I only went into REM once during my naps and got the IH diagnosis but I also fell asleep really fast.

Singh

My longest sleep time was 6.5min, my shortest was 1:12 (I think) and the average was 3.5.

This is good to know, thank you for sharing.

Bruce23

Basically, REM is rapid eye movement it's a state of deep sleep and where dreaming occurs it's also where your brain is doing some processing (thought to be categorising info/memories iirc) not hitting REM is bad basically. You you hit REM after 1.5 hours and on average first REM cycle is 10mins and gets longer each time, having fudged REM or not entering it is it's own set of issues but as you are aware we don't fully know why we sleep.

Cameron

Do you guys symptoms get worse at times?? Because mine have been really bad for a couple of weeks.

Hazel

I know for us females they tend to get worse during our cycles. I don't know about males though. Stress can cause it as well.

Hazel

Do you guys symptoms get worse at times?? Because mine have been really bad for a couple of weeks.
I see you have narcolepsy. Be aware that because of the impairment in our day-night-cycle environmental cues such as light actually don’t work on us. Also, because of this our body doesn’t adjust in temperature during sleep either. So make sure you regulate your room temperature accordingly! Also, you could just be having a flare up in your symptoms. I know I am at the moment.

Emilia

Does anyone with IH also have heart rate issues? i just had a few sips of monster and now my resting heart rate is 100+.

My walking average is always 120-130 and resting anywhere between 65-85 depending on day and how much I've been exercising recently.

I know me taking Adderall affects my heart rate but I haven’t taken any since this morning so having a few sips of monster and my heart rate spiking like this still seems funny.

Aurora

Does anyone with IH also have heart rate issues? i just had a few sips of monster and now my resting heart rate is 100+.

My walking average is always 120-130 and resting anywhere between 65-85 depending on day and how much I've been exercising recently.

I know me taking Adderall affects my heart rate but I haven’t taken any since this morning so having a few sips of monster and my heart rate spiking like this still seems funny.
Narcolepsy and I have that, not IH though.

Hazel

Umm energy drinks are BAD. Don’t drink them guys. I mean Adderall makes mine beat over 120 so.

Claire

Monster is no different than coffee with some vitamins. The media hype about them being bad for you is just from people who have several (too much caffeine from any source can kill you) or drink them with heart problems. Which again, coffee would have the same effect.

That being said, caffeine is a stimulant like our meds, so I don't recommend monster + meds. Once had my walking heart rate jump to 160 cause I forgot I took 30mg Adderall xr and then drank a full can of Monster.

Hazel

In my experience energy drinks are not good for me. I agree that them being consumed in a large amount is not good, but for me I feel that they should not enter my body, as caffeine affects me like alcohol.

Claire

Oh yeah that's understandable lol. Sorry if I came across defensive. My mom's always telling me they'll kill me, like yeah your 32 Oz morning coffee will too.

Claire

Ew. I'm having one of those nights where I'm restless and itch everywhere for no reason other than to be awake. Still exhausted, but can't sleep.

Gilbert45

Anyone taken sunosi (Solriamfetol)? My doc told me to try a sample and let him know how it was how does it work/feel.