Living with one kidney

Mara Rollins

Good day 🙂 Please understand me correctly, this is not a joke or a game of sick imagination. The point is that I want to become a kidney donor. I lead a healthy lifestyle, do not smoke, do not drink, follow a diet. I did not have any serious illnesses. I am wondering which kidney, right or left, is the best to donate as a donor organ?

Mara Rollins

I am also interested in how the absence of one kidney can affect my life expectancy? Will I be able to lead a life like before with one kidney? That is, go in for sports, swim, and so on. Will I need to follow some kind of special diet later, or can I eat the same way as before? I would be very grateful for your answers.

Cameron

@Mara Rollins
It is positive that you are going to save the life of another person! With one kidney, you can live quite normally, as before. What kind of kidney, doctors will decide. Lead a healthy lifestyle, do what you did before, only without strenuous physical exertion, you also need a certain diet.

Carter1

I am also interested in how the absence of one kidney can affect my life expectancy? Will I be able to lead a life like before with one kidney? That is, go in for sports, swim, and so on. Will I need to follow some kind of special diet later, or can I eat the same way as before? I would be very grateful for your answers.
People with only one kidney do not need treatment. But taking precautions is important to protect your only kidney. Important precautions:
  • Drink plenty of fluids (about three liters a day).
  • Avoid injury to your sole kidney by avoiding contact sports such as boxing, hockey, soccer, martial arts, and wrestling.
  • See your doctor regularly for the prevention and early adequate treatment of urolithiasis and urinary tract infections.

Are you a woman?
The only thing that is worrying is pregnancy because people with one kidney can forget about a large family, as it is dangerous. At the same time, pregnancy, in this case, cannot be spontaneous, it must be planned, consultations with doctors are required.

Miles

Life with one kidney is possible. The remaining organ fulfills the dual function of filtering urine, and the person does not have to change much of the usual way of life. But the absence of a kidney still increases the risk of future deterioration of the kidney tissue due to the high load. Reducing the likelihood of complications can be due to proper nutrition and giving up bad habits.

Lena Cox

The compensatory mechanism triggers the growth of renal structures, and after a few months, full filtration is restored. To live normally after a nephrectomy will help diet food; rejection of bad habits; moderate physical activity; weight control; regular check-ups to check kidney function. Removal does not affect lifespan. A person can live for a long time if they follow simple dietary recommendations and do not overexert themselves.

Kleo

After removing the kidney, you should limit the use of the following foods: salt - it retains fluid and increases the risk of hypertension; proteins - eggs, meat, dairy products; food containing flavor enhancers or artificial flavors; mushrooms; spices; canned food and smoked meats; rich pastries; garlic and onions. Alcoholic drinks are strictly prohibited. Alcohol negatively affects renal filtration.

Emilia

After removing the kidney, you should limit the use of the following foods: salt - it retains fluid and increases the risk of hypertension; proteins - eggs, meat, dairy products; food containing flavor enhancers or artificial flavors; mushrooms; spices; canned food and smoked meats; rich pastries; garlic and onions. Alcoholic drinks are strictly prohibited. Alcohol negatively affects renal filtration.
The diet should include vegetables, grains, lean meat, and fruits. It is important to follow the drinking regime. After removal of the organ, it is recommended to drink no more than a liter of liquid per day. When calculating the daily rate, not only the water you drink is taken into account, but also juices, fruit drinks. Drinking too much can lead to swelling.

Kidneys love physical activity and sports are not contraindicated 💪
But if there is only one organ, then you should avoid activities where lower back injuries are possible: ski slopes, basketball, football, contact sports (karate, boxing), mountaineering, jumping from a springboard into the water, bodybuilding.

Quinn Galvan

To maintain health, a person with a single kidney should avoid heavy lifting, hypothermia, intense physical exertion, alcoholic libations, smoking, eating fast foods, smoked meats, and a lot of salt. Harmful factors disrupt the work of the nephrons. If there is only one organ, then an unhealthy lifestyle can lead to kidney failure.

The absence of one kidney does not affect life expectancy in any way. These people, like the rest, have minor health problems. Their blood pressure is slightly higher than normal, so they often suffer from hypertension in old age.

Jason Ibarra

Symptoms of possible complications:
  • lack of urine or a decrease in its volume;
  • arterial hypertension;
  • pain and colic in a healthy kidney.
In the presence of these signals, an urgent need to consult a doctor. In addition, once a year, it is imperative to undergo a full examination and take urine and blood tests.

Edwards

Life after kidney removal has some limitations. It is important to follow a drinking regime and eat a balanced diet. Avoid sudden changes in the diet, limit preservatives, pickles, and spicy foods as much as possible. You should not abuse mineral waters, since one kidney will not cope well with the excretion of salts, which can increase the risk of stone formation.

Good day 🙂 Please understand me correctly, this is not a joke or a game of sick imagination. The point is that I want to become a kidney donor. I lead a healthy lifestyle, do not smoke, do not drink, follow a diet. I did not have any serious illnesses. I am wondering which kidney, right or left, is the best to donate as a donor organ?
Hello, Mara! I'm proud of you, your decision is so brave and generous. If it isn't a secret will you please tell us to who you are going to donate your kidney?

Dane Willis

(y) After the full examination, your doctor will tell you which kidney you can donate right or left.

Jake Lamb

Wow :oops: I'm shocked as I would never agree to give my organs to someone!

Reese Larson

People with only one kidney do not need treatment. But taking precautions is important to protect your only kidney. Important precautions:
  • Drink plenty of fluids (about three liters a day).
  • Avoid injury to your sole kidney by avoiding contact sports such as boxing, hockey, soccer, martial arts, and wrestling.
  • See your doctor regularly for the prevention and early adequate treatment of urolithiasis and urinary tract infections.
It's risky donating kidney, but I can see it for my dad, if he's in need of one. So much love for Mr Frank.