Is Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazole effective for sinusitis?

I wouldn't recommend it. Although some sources I've found mention upper respiratory infections, there are better options out there.

Also a viral sinusitis is much more common and then antibiotics are absolutely not effective.

Nancy0

What's the major difference between Viral Sinusitis and Bacterial Sinusitis ? Is Bacterial the severe one?

Well bacterial sinusitis is caused by bacteria. its much less common.

I guess bacterial is more severe, but that doesn't have to be the case.

Nancy0

Anyways, I got Sinusitis and the doc prescribed Cefpodoxime and Levocetrizine-Monteleukast and PPI for 3 days... I was feeling normal and good at 4th and 5th day... Again on 6th day I started to get same symptoms when I had sinusitis and I'm unable to make appointment with the doc. Symptoms include Severe Headache on right side, Weakening and Numbing of Right Hand, Fatigue and Dizziness.... What should I take before I check with doc again.

It could be that the PPI has reduced the bioavailability of the Cefpodoxime.

So the PPI was simply to prevent ulcers ? Are you taking NSAIDs more often?

Nancy0

So the PPI was simply to prevent ulcers ? Are you taking NSAIDs more often?
Docs at my place usually prescribe PPI along with NSAIDs to prevent ulcer as ulcer occurrence is more in number in my locality. I don't take NSAIDs more often.. Probably 1-2 times a year.

Zebra

What's the major difference between Viral Sinusitis and Bacterial Sinusitis ? Is Bacterial the severe one?
Bacterial sinusitis can lead to worse complications more easily than a viral one, though they don‘t necessarily take or give much from and to another in terms of severity.

Ok, the rest is not that important to take as prescribed. the cetirizine and Montelukast are symptomatic, just to make you feel better.

Can't say what causes the headaches. One of the most common side effects and it could be because you are still recovering from the infection.

Nancy0

I'm currently in 4th year of Bachelors in Pharmacy... I feel reality is way different than what I study in the books.