Is price a determining factor in buying drugs?

Barida

Many at times, we tend to say that anything that is cheap is not real and I believe such can be applied to what we have on buying medicines.

Take for instance, when you know that a particular drug costs $2.5. However, when buying online, you get such drugs being sold at $1.50. Won't you have doubts about the originality? To me, I think yes and that should be one of the guiding factors when we are making purchases via online pharmacies unless on cases where you are very sure that it is sold at subsidized prices.

Brandon

Staff member
Brand meds can't be cheap. But if we speak about their analogs - generics, prices on them are lower. However, one needs to remember that the best copy of the original drug with all the similarities in most cases is unlikely to be better than the original. There are still differences. And these are not only different names and prices. These are features in production technology, a different color, taste, size, and form of the drug, different composition of excipients, excipients, their quality, ratio and combination. These seemingly insignificant nuances can affect the side or therapeutic effects of the drug. Replacing an original with its counterpart is not always a good idea. And it’s better not to do this without consulting a doctor.

Caitlin27

I think for me it depends on the severity of the illness. If it was not anything major such as a lack of sleep or headaches, I would be more likely to be comfortable purchasing a cheaper alternative.

Although if the reason for purchasing the meds were something serious, like anti depressants, I wouldn’t feel I could trust a budget brand to uphold all the same legal standards that the more premium brand has built its reputation on.

But I do think there are many occasions were it would be fine, I just worry about the consequences if something were to go wrong.

Rxredax

Low price is a part of the reason why people buy medicine online. But not only low prices, but people also buy medicine online because it is convenient for them and saves them time.

If the online pharmacy is legit, they will probably also sell genuine brand products.

Dr.Fine

Many at times, we tend to say that anything that is cheap is not real and I believe such can be applied to what we have on buying medicines.

Take for instance, when you know that a particular drug costs $2.5. However, when buying online, you get such drugs being sold at $1.50. Won't you have doubts about the originality? To me, I think yes and that should be one of the guiding factors when we are making purchases via online pharmacies unless on cases where you are very sure that it is sold at subsidized prices.
I think that to a large extent, it doesn't. Factors affecting the price of meds are myriads. For example, your location. Obviously, you'll buy a drug at lower prices if you're located in the same country that it is manufactured. Remember, I said that the factors are many.

Rita

For the record, price should matter when purchasing drugs but pharmaceutical companies have patients in mind knowing fully well that some people can't afford most brand drugs which is why they now also produce generic drugs, thereby making it easier for people to afford such expensive drugs.

jSmith

Price is a determining factor when buying anything, but it doesn't always say that if an item has a lesser price tag, that it is a low-quality one. But most of the time it might be a low quality one, but not always, sometimes it could be much better too.
But when we come to medics, we have to be more careful, health is much worth than money. so you will have to be more considerate about the quality. When coming to ordering online, only use trusted sites because there might be medics with the same price or higher prices, but you have no guarantee that they are good. So my advice is, if the price is very low in a considerable amount, just let it go, and try another site.

Dennis

Remember, online pharmacies are created to relieve patients from the hiked brick and mortar stores drug prices. If a drug costs slightly less (like in your case of $2.5 & $1.5), it's because of the reason why online apothecaries exist. So for me, no, the price isn't a major factor, unless there are other factors to support.

harjothkaur

Price is definitely a determining factor and although I agree with you that the online pharmacies generally offer better prices than the brick-and-mortar pharmacies and sometimes offer fake drugs as well, but the ones that have a reputation are extremely careful about it and never sell counterfeit drugs as they are mostly dependent for their reputation through online reviews and cannot afford to ruin it by selling counterfeit drugs.

Sofia Ella

The price of medication alone doesn't confirm World Health Organization gets access to health care. Therefore the value of essential medicine matters to poor individuals and to poor countries. However, it had been conjointly noted that cheap medicine, or maybe those created on the market freed from charge, area unit usually not being sufficiently used.

Evelyn Ford

Price is a determining factor, but not always. Some might be expensive and of low quality too. So a higher price does not mean that a drug is a good one. The brand might be a better determining factor.
Well, depending on the nature of the health problem I'm getting pills for, if it's something serious, price won't be an issue for me because me being alive is more important.

Gillian Snelson

I think my health comes first above any amount the drugs are sold. If I die trying to save money as a result of my illness, who will eat the money I left behind?

Brand meds can't be cheap. But if we speak about their analogs - generics, prices on them are lower. However, one needs to remember that the best copy of the original drug with all the similarities in most cases is unlikely to be better than the original. There are still differences. And these are not only different names and prices. These are features in production technology, a different color, taste, size, and form of the drug, different composition of excipients, excipients, their quality, ratio and combination. These seemingly insignificant nuances can affect the side or therapeutic effects of the drug. Replacing an original with its counterpart is not always a good idea. And it’s better not to do this without consulting a doctor.
Great reply, Brandon :love:

To an extent yes, price can affect one's decision in getting drugs but in the end, it's getting treatment that matters.