Is Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome and Malignant Hyperthermia the same thing?

Is Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome and Malignant Hyperthermia the same thing? You treat both of them with Dantrolene and the symptoms are pretty similar so I'm confused.

So basically it's saying it's different triggers, which I knew already but I was wondering if the pathophysiology was different or the same.

Why do they name things with similar terms? Oh my lord.

I love it when they say they don't know how things work in medicine, "idiopathic".

Thank you anyway, Bennett, it helped to have someone commiserate with me, LMAO.

Bennett

Of course, sorry I can't directly help :(( but yeah I suppose at least you would be able to distinguish it it in a diagnosis, you just cant explain the science behind it.

Bailey

They're different things. NMS tends to be caused by dopamine antagonists like metoclopramide and antipsychotics while malignant hyperthermia tends to be caused by depolarizing agents like succinylcholine.

Both can be treated by dantrolene.

NMS can present with myoglobinuria while malignant hyperthermia does not.

Actually, never mind, both can have myoglobinuria and Rhabdo. Just different causes.

Oh yeah, different triggers but pretty much the same thing lol so everything I wrote before is moot.

They're different things. NMS tends to be caused by dopamine antagonists like metoclopramide and antipsychotics while malignant hyperthermia tends to be caused by depolarizing agents like succinylcholine.

Both can be treated by dantrolene.

NMS can present with myoglobinuria while malignant hyperthermia does not.

Actually, never mind, both can have myoglobinuria and Rhabdo. Just different causes.

Oh yeah, different triggers but pretty much the same thing lol so everything I wrote before is moot.
Yeah, it is like they say it’s different but can’t explain why.

Thanks for trying though. I really appreciate it.

Okay, so if you're interested, I went down a deep dark rabbit hole and found these differences:

MH: Acute, Familial (autosomal dominant mutation in RYR1 gene)

NMS: Days after new antipsychotic, I do not know why it happens (something something dopamine something something), but not familiar.