I'm kind of lost on the difference between typical and atypical antipsychotics

Bailey

I'm kind of lost on the difference between typical and atypical antipsychotics. My understanding is that they all block dopamine receptors (D2 but D1?) and atypical are also act on 5HT2 (mostly 5HT2A?). Can someone clear things out please?

Alfredo

Yes sure. So typical antipsychotics are D2-Receptor Antagonists, their antipsychotic effect correlates with their affinity to the D2 receptor, while the atypical antipsychotics are not strictly bound to act via D2 receptor antipsychotic and as you said the antagonism on the 5HT2A Receptor is essential for the antipsychotic effect of the atypical.

Bailey

Yes sure. So typical antipsychotics are D2-Receptor Antagonists, their antipsychotic effect correlates with their affinity to the D2 receptor, while the atypical antipsychotics are not strictly bound to act via D2 receptor antipsychotic and as you said the antagonism on the 5HT2A Receptor is essential for the antipsychotic effect of the atypical.
Okay.

Alfredo

So if a drug has more affinity to 5HT2A than D2 its atypical (there are exceptions like aripiprazole).

Alfredo

Erm so the extrapyramidal motoric issues like dyskinesia, really bad stuff, torturous, that's from the effects on other areas in the brain.

See there are 4 main pathways for dopaminergic signals:- nigrostriatal, tuberoinfundibular, mesolimbic and neocortical.

And because of the effects on the nigrostriatal system, you have those Parkinson-like and other motoric symptoms

Alfredo

And because of the effect on the tuberoinfundibular system there is a prolactin increase and gynecomastia.

Yes, I mean you don't give dopamine agonists and antagonists together right.

Bailey

And because of the effect on the tuberoinfundibular system there is a prolactin increase and gynecomastia.

Yes, I mean you don't give dopamine agonists and antagonists together right.
That would result in some chaos but how?

Alfredo

@Ezra D2 receptor plays a big role, as you can still give Parkinson patients antipsychotics but you would use those with relatively low affinity to D2 -receptors.

Ezra

Cariprazine is an antipsychotic that acts more like a dopamine receptor agonist (medium-high efficacy D3 partial agonist, high selectivity compared to other antipsychotics) so maybe that could be used in people with Parkinson

~60% IA I believe

Alfredo

See you want the D2 blockage in the mesolimbic-neocortical system: antipsychotic effect but you also get: D2 blockage nigrostriatal: extrapyramidal motoric issues D2 blockage hypothalamus : hypothermia D2 blockage area postrema : anti emetic D2 blockage tuberos infundibular: hyper prolactinaemia and also H1 antihistaminic : sedation, weight gain alpha 1 blockage : vasodilatation 5HT2 : minor Extrapyramidal issues M-acetylcholine: minor extrapyramidal issues, atropine-like

Alfredo

@Ezra Yea see the partial agonism in those newer drugs like Cariprazine and even Aripiprazole is that idea that: if you have too much dopamine it will act as an antagonist and act antipsychotic, but when there is less dopamine around they don't block but rather help the dopamine act so there is hopefully less of that extrapyramidal motoric problems with those newer antipsychotics that also act as partial agonists on Dopamine receptors

Ezra

Yeah it keeps the dopamine receptor activation at a more constant level.
Also, H1 and M3 are possibly involved in hyperglycemia.
Tri/tetracyclic are some nasty mfers.

Ezra

Muscarinic acetylcholine receptor antagonism causes extrapyramidal side effects? I was under the impression that M1 antagonism can reduce extrapyramidal sides.