How do you deal with those who usually self diagnose?

I can only speak from a student perspective, but from my experience, we generally should try not to completely dismiss the pts position (this goes for anti-vaxxers as well as essential oil enthusiasts), but we are supposed to try to ask open-ended questions to better understand their point of view.

Now as for what is really practiced, I can tell you that there is probably less time available for such efforts in the ER, and sometimes even primary care (where depending upon which system you work for, they might schedule you for 15 minute appointments per pt, or even double-book).

While we usually roll out eyes internally we do try and take it into account because in the end, we can't diagnose pain because we don't experience it. At the very least it gives us symptoms and helps us localise what's happening and thus triage the problem before sending them to the right ward.

Most of the stuff that comes into ed is pretty straightforward and if the pt is still conscious then usually their injuries are quite obvious. Can't exactly fake a severed finger.

For those who do mental issues we usually just try to calm then down, as Hannah said, ask open ended questions and generally work our way to the core of what's happening while using the self diagnosis as a kind of scapegoat.

For the gentleman above (gentleman? I don't know) if he came in I'd basically mark it down as possible narcissism, mollify him.

Then cart him off to whatever ward is appropriate.

It's either that or sedate him but I have a feeling he'll/she'll call it rape or something.

In general I'm a bad example because I'm a very... Candid, blunt person.

Dalia Lopez

Do you guys word things differently for female/male patients?

I find that for an ophthalmologist, we need to word things differently for the female patients.

That's more her issue than any of yours. If she doesn't come to terms with the fact that her body is like a used car now then it's going to break down on the highway.