How can we achieve painless blood collection or injections for children ?

Noah

I have had to watch kids cry loudly in pain as blood is being collected for testing. Is there any technique that can be used for blood collection for kids in a complete pain-free way?

Idella

I have had to watch kids cry loudly in pain as blood is being collected for testing. Is there any technique that can be used for blood collection for kids in a complete pain-free way?
Entertaining and distracting them in an appropriate and playful way is the best way for the injections. I do it all the time and they wouldn't even know when the needle gets in.

Claire

Entertaining and distracting them in an appropriate and playful way is the best way for the injections. I do it all the time and they wouldn't even know when the needle gets in.
I agree with Idella, distraction is helpful especially using tablets and phones and cartoons are particularly effective.

Christina

Use topical anesthesia like EMLA cream to numb the area where the needle will be inserted. This should significantly lower the amount of pain.

Liam

Use topical anesthesia like EMLA cream to numb the area where the needle will be inserted. This should significantly lower the amount of pain.
Yeah. EMLA Creams works by numbing the surface of the skin for a short time. It is put on the skin before certain medical procedures.

Dixon

I don't actually think the injection will actually be painless though. It will still inflict pain but the child might just be too distracted to notice it.

Bell

I don't actually think the injection will actually be painless though. It will still inflict pain but the child might just be too distracted to notice it.
True, but at least it answers the question in a way.