Glutamatergic/GABAergic synergy with three medications

Skylar Smith

I wanted to try a trio if I could, but they would do it properly and it would take time. So, glutamatergic/GABAergic synergy with three medications. Fluoxetine - sigma-1 agonist and indirect GABA modulator via allopregnanolone. Olanzapine - known to increase GABA but uncertain of the mechanism, used for catatonia. memantine - increases GABAergic and glutamatergic activity. All work synergistically with each other with minimal interactions.

Can be great for OCD and schizophrenia alike.

Just a rant really, wonder how they would work in reality.

Could replace benzos since there is so much activity in those areas.

Quinn Galvan

Yeah, Benzos are really not a great (long term) solution for stuff like panic disorders.

In the treatment of OCD drugs like SSRI (Fluoxetine, Sertraline, etc.) are already used frequently. As we discussed previously SSRI can be problematic in patients with schizophrenia or bipolar. That applies to the NMDA-antagonist Memantine even more (NMDA antagonists as ketamine and PCP can cause psychosis; adverse effects of Memantine: hallucinations, agitation, drowsiness, confusion, insomnia.

So OCD, maybe. Though I don't like drug-combinations with more than 2 drugs.

About the interaction potential. As Olanzapine is metabolized by CYP 1A2, drugs that inhibit this isoenzyme can cause Olanzapine levels to rise high. Olanzapine can cause severe side effects ranging from the extrapyramidal motoric issues (dyskinesia, akinesia, etc.) to agranulocytosis. Also every drug that is extending the QT-interval in the EKG can cause long-QT-syndrome. Also antipsychotics are known to lower the "convulsive threshold" which can lead to epileptic seizures.

Skylar Smith

Yeah, it's better the way doctors do it, they don't just pile on drugs, they'll exhaust single compounds before stacking.