Do antipsychotics cause depression?

Lily Michael

Do antipsychotics cause depression?
They can, drugs have differing effects person to person, so if you were subscribed you may be better off taking it, but all drugs have side effects, especially the ones that have to do anything with serotonin and dopamine.

Gilbert45

I have no family history of mental illness but I did have a concussion when I was 17 ...is it possible that this caused my bipolar disorder?

Lily Michael

Which antipsychotic and which antidepressant ? Of course something like Aripiprazole that is also a 5HT 1A partial agonist and 5HT 2A antagonist would interfere with the effects of an SSRI antidepressant.

Lily Michael

From what I read online SSRI antidepressants are combined with mood stabilizers, some of those are atypical antipsychotics. Some atypical antipsychotics (AAPs) like Olanzapine and Quetiapine also have ant depressive properties. If a patient responds well to an AAP in a manic episode, the same AAP can be given further as prophylaxis. The typical antipsychotics should not be given because they can lead to depression, but the atypical antipsychotics are apparently fine.

Gilbert45

Vraylar and pristiq

Basically I don't want to take my antipsychotic because I feel like it makes me depressed by NP wants me to take something else with it instead

Although vraylar is supposed to help with depression so maybe I'm just not wanting to take it because it took away my mania
But now I have been depressed for a long time

I need to find some combination of meds that allows me to work or go to school and not sleep all the time

I feel like I was accomplishing a lot during mania / hypomania but at the height of it I quit my job and flew to Washington DC to help the government which the doctors told me were delusions of grandeur.

Lily Michael

Ok so Vraylar is Cariprazine (Antipsychotic) and Pristiq is Desvenlafaxine (Antidepressant) Cariprazine is a partial agonist for the 5HT 1A and antagonistic properties on 5HT 2A and 2B (I m excluding the dopamine receptors here, to focus on the serotonin interaction between the 2 drugs.)

5HT 2A receptor is also known to be responsible for hallucinations, delusions.

About Desvenlafaxine, it is an SNRI. So it should have some stimulating properties (because its not only serotonin but also norepinephrine reuptake inhibiting). But the affinity to the NE transporter is ten times weaker than to serotonin. Might be there are other antidepressants that are better suited for you. I am no expert in the field of bipolar though. I think the choice of the right antidepressant is important and the options are fewer compared to the unipolar depressed.