Cystic Fibrosis

Alfredo

My lecturer today mentioned this condition in class and it struck my attention. I've researched a bit about it but I still want interactive comments here about this condition. It seems really bad.

Dixon

Yeah, it's bad.

It is an inherited life-threatening disorder that damages the lungs and digestive system.

Hannah

Yeah, it's bad.

It is an inherited life-threatening disorder that damages the lungs and digestive system.
Never knew there were so many genetically related conditions until recently. I've seen a lot of inherited conditions on this forum lately.

Adams

Cystic fibrosis is a genetic disease. People with CF have inherited two copies of the defective CF gene -- one copy from each parent. Both parents must have at least one copy of the defective gene. People with only one copy of the defective CF gene are called carriers, but they do not have the disease.

Dixon

Cystic fibrosis affects the cells that produce mucus, sweat and digestive juices. It causes these fluids to become thick and sticky. They then plug up tubes, ducts and passageways.

Mary Jo

and let me guess. It doesn't have a cure?
How long can a patient survive this?

or a baby. This is another terrible disease. What causes these terrible things?

Anderson

While there is no cure yet for cystic fibrosis (CF), people with CF are living longer, healthier lives than ever before. In fact, babies born with CF today are expected to live into their mid-40s and beyond. Life expectancy has improved so dramatically that there are now more adults with cystic fibrosis than children.

Milton

Well, that's not the worst part yet.

For people with CF, being close to others with the disease puts them at greater risk of getting and spreading dangerous germs and bacteria. This is called cross‐infection. Not only are these dangerous germs difficult to treat, but they can also lead to worsening symptoms and faster decline in lung function.

Mary Jo

Well, that's not the worst part yet.

For people with CF, being close to others with the disease puts them at greater risk of getting and spreading dangerous germs and bacteria. This is called cross‐infection. Not only are these dangerous germs difficult to treat, but they can also lead to worsening symptoms and faster decline in lung function.
So you're saying that they can't have physical contact with people?

Adams

Oh! Wow. Are there medications to manage this condition?
They are easily susceptible to infection so basically, the major treatment is supportive care and keeping a perfect hygiene. The use of dietary
supplement, Antibiotics, Penicillin and Cough medicine could help.

Alfredo

Told you it was bad. I was practically dumbfounded in class.