Could my desk work be giving me issues?

Jackie

I was reading about studies linking excessive screen time to sleep issues.

I work at a desk and spend several hours a day in front of a computer screen. I also have trouble sleeping at night. I sometimes do not fall asleep until 6 AM and I have to be up at 9 AM for work. It has been a real struggle for me. Sometimes I go days with only getting 2 or 3 hours of sleep. I for some reason can sleep like a baby in the middle of the day though and wake up feeling great. I just can't do it when I want.

Is there a connection here? Is there anything I can do about it?

Henry

There is a connection that needs an urgent solution to and one of the solution at the moment is doing a tiring exercise each time you are back from work. This will make you feel tired and once you avoid your phone at that moment. I assure you that you are definitely going to fall asleep.

It has worked for me and I believe that it will work for you.

Christina

I work at a desk and spend several hours a day in front of a computer screen. I also have trouble sleeping at night. I sometimes do not fall asleep until 6 AM and I have to be up at 9 AM for work. It has been a real struggle for me. Sometimes I go days with only getting 2 or 3 hours of sleep. I for some reason can sleep like a baby in the middle of the day though and wake up feeling great. I just can't do it when I want.

Oh, having 2-3 hours of sleep is awful and bad for health, you need to have at least 6 hours to be able to regain your strength. I don't think that screen time anyhow affects your sleep. Many of us work in offices and we don't have problems with falling asleep. Try to relax after each working day. Take a warm bath with aroma oils. Sometimes reading works! As for me, when I try to read after a long day, I can only read 2 pages and then my eyes start to close. I put a back away and immediately fall asleep :sleep:

Caitlin27

The ‘desk job’ itself won’t be the cause of your lack of sleep, however the job itself may be through the stress it causes you throughout the day, resulting in the brain revising everything it has consumed throughout the day and deciphering on which information is important enough to use vital energy and convert into a ‘long-term memory’, and which is trivial enough to discard and ‘free’ up space ready for tomorrow.

If you are overloading your brain with a lot of new information, it can be really difficult to fall asleep with your brain so busy trying to sort through all the information it was presented with throughout the day.

Additionally, a lack of sleep will make it even harder for your brain to decide on important information needed to be stored, which can cause brain fog and lead to it being almost impossible to remember much with any level of certainty and clarity; this can result in even more time spent lying awake as your brain tries to retrieve any information it may still have within its reach before the sleep deprivation wipes it away forever.

Brandon

Staff member
The ‘desk job’ itself won’t be the cause of your lack of sleep, however the job itself may be through the stress it causes you throughout the day, resulting in the brain revising everything it has consumed throughout the day and deciphering on which information is important enough to use vital energy and convert into a ‘long-term memory’, and which is trivial enough to discard and ‘free’ up space ready for tomorrow.

If you are overloading your brain with a lot of new information, it can be really difficult to fall asleep with your brain so busy trying to sort through all the information it was presented with throughout the day.

Additionally, a lack of sleep will make it even harder for your brain to decide on important information needed to be stored, which can cause brain fog and lead to it being almost impossible to remember much with any level of certainty and clarity; this can result in even more time spent lying awake as your brain tries to retrieve any information it may still have within its reach before the sleep deprivation wipes it away forever.
Absolutely agree with you and want to advise Jackie to try dedicating a minimum of 20 minutes a night when you come home to fully unwinding, whether it be listening to a podcast, music, watching your favorite tv show or reading a book... anything that will silence your busy mind will help establish a routine that tells your brain: “Work is finished for the day. Now it’s time to relax.” This process should get easier with time as the brain will recognize the neural pathways triggered, which strengthen and grow the more they’re used (like a muscle), and induce a peaceful state and prepare you for a restful nights sleep ahead.

Gummy Bear

Oh, having 2-3 hours of sleep is awful and bad for health, you need to have at least 6 hours to be able to regain your strength. I don't think that screen time anyhow affects your sleep. Many of us work in offices and we don't have problems with falling asleep. Try to relax after each working day. Take a warm bath with aroma oils. Sometimes reading works! As for me, when I try to read after a long day, I can only read 2 pages and then my eyes start to close. I put a back away and immediately fall asleep :sleep:
I've had tough times sleeping in the last few weeks. Let's see how reading will help me especially reading those love poems on my bookshelf.

MegaPlayer

I don't experience this issue. I will suggest you see a doctor as soon as possible!

Dawson))

There's a part of the story that you're not telling us and it could be the problem. What do you do hours before 6 A.M? The moment you respond, I'll get back to you, I promise.