Brand vs generic drugs?

Noah

A brand medicine is one that is made under the name of a particular company and the patent to produce such drugs lasts for a certain period of time.

However, after that period, other companies are allowed to produce similar drugs such as the brand drugs and the difference is that some ingredients are inactive in generic drugs while generic drugs are also cheaper than brand ones.

stephannie

A brand medicine is one that is made under the name of a particular company and the patent to produce such drugs lasts for a certain period of time.

However, after that period, other companies are allowed to produce similar drugs such as the brand drugs and the difference is that some ingredients are inactive in generic drugs while generic drugs are also cheaper than brand ones.
I agree with you on this and in many cases, a drug that can cure a headache can be produced by many brands and still cure the same headache but at different levels, as humans have different body systems and react differently to drugs. Instead for a brand to produce many versions of drugs that can cure headaches, they can just stick to the one that is compatible for pregnant women alone, while another brand can produce drugs that can cure headaches for any adult with exemption to pregnant and nursing mothers and the generics are those anyone can possibly use with little or no side effects, but I stand to be corrected on this all the same.

Ethel

Generic drugs are copies of brand-name drugs which has the exact same dosage, ingredients, effects and side effects, strength, risks and safety. They are both basically the same thing only that the generic drugs comes from the branded ones. The only peculiar difference is that generic drugs are cheaper than brand-drugs.

Dr.Fine

What is the difference between generic drugs and a brand name? Are they made exactly the same? Pros and cons of verses each other? Your thoughts? All answers and replies appreciated.
The pro I'd like to share is that generics can prove as equally effective as the brand-name drugs, leave alone being cheaper. They're also more readily available than the branded meds. About the way they're made, you already have the answer that they're both made of the same ingredients, and that's the most important thing.

Audrey

Generic drugs are mostly compared to the organic ones but they are very less effective. While I was growing up, I would catch flu a lot and my mother who has always been a cheapskate, would go visit a physician who charged the least and always prescribed generic drugs, I would take 10-15 days to feel good again then, but my father, who was very particular about health and diseases, would take me to the best physician possible who would prescribe brand drugs, taking which I would feel great again after 4-5 days.

Sam6065

Generic drugs are copies of brand-name drugs that have exactly the same dosage, intended use, effects, side effects, route of administration, risks, safety, and strength as the original drug. In other words, their pharmacological effects are exactly the same as those of their brand-name counterparts.

Generic drugs are only cheaper because the manufacturers have not had the expenses of developing and marketing a new drug. When a company brings a new drug onto the market, the firm has already spent substantial money on research, development, marketing, and promotion of the drug. A patent is granted that gives the company that developed the drug an exclusive right to sell the drug as long as the patent is in effect.

kevin001

Generic drugs contain the same chemical composition and effect when compared to a brand drug. Sometimes the quality of production and materials used might vary, but most of the time generic drugs give the exact same result, if not then it is not an approved drug. The main difference between them is the price. A simple explanation is a comparison between an apple product and a non-apple product with the same specs. But like in the example, the quality might differ, but not always.

Bailey

A generic drug is a copy of a branded drug of the same strength, purpose, effect, side effects, route of administration, risk, safety, and strength as the origin of the drug. In other words, their pharmacological effects are exactly the same as those of the original drugs.

Pro and Cons of Generic Drugs

Generic drugs are often substantially cheaper than the brand-name versions but as effective as the original.
Generic products are undergoing approval, and the FDA ensures that they are constantly monitored for safety, efficacy, and quality.
Contamination: Generic drugs are often produced in factories in countries like India, China, or other areas with cheap labor and overhead.
Mixing up the pills: As brand medications typically have a consistent “branded” look to them that patients can get familiar and comfortable with, generics often do not look as familiar or it is not as obvious what each pill is.
Pros and Cons of Brand Drugs:
Brand name drugs several times more expensive, they also are more likely to not be covered by insurance plans.