Both fluoxetine and olanzapine increase allopregnanolone

Taylor1

Ok so both fluoxetine and olanzapine increase allopregnanolone, the combination seems to be great to theoretically great to increase GABA, may have anxiolytic effects.

Oh, only slightly related, allopregnanolone can still be useful in schizophrenia though.

Oskar

Interesting. In Germany they took it from the market after 1 year, because there is no evidence that it has "additional benefit compared to a selection of other antipsychotics of the 2nd generation".

It's for economic reasons, they just don't want to pay for it as long as it's not evidently better than the older cheaper stuff.

Gray

Dextromethorphan should be a viable option in my own experience mostly anti inflammatory, it works amazingly for ME... Even at high doses it doesn't make me psychotic, but I wouldn't take daily high doses, just the same daily recommended max 80mg It lowers my hallucinations even, which used to get worse in the morning.

Allen

Wait I kind of understand the anti inflammatory part but how can a relatively weak dissociative anesthetic reduce hallucinations? What could the mechanism be? Is it somehow the sigma1 receptor or NMDA affinity?
Also wasn't it mildly stimulant at a lower dose?

Oskar

Yea we had that discussion already. The NMDA-Receptor antagonism should make it pro-psychotic in my opinion (as it does in ketamine or PCP). As long as it helps I won't argue against it.

Gray

At low doses it should be fine, but I've never had psychosis while abusing it at 200-400mg (using very rarely, the DXM FAQ on erowid has good advice for harm reduction). Therapeutically just 20-40mg twice a day should be fine.

Gray

Alcohol is abused in schizophrenia to numb the senses, but alcohol is mostly a dissociative as well, the lower doses are mostly GABAergic, lower doses of alcohol makes my brain fry, you can feel the "gab-burn" in your body I'd say.

High doses feel like 200mg of DXM.

Wait I'm not making sense.

Oskar

Wait, what do you mean? Glycine? I don't even know what you mean with NMDA. You got to form whole sentences and be a little precise. Alcohol, NMDA receptor agonism or antagonism.

Oskar

Hmmm... I didn't know that about ether either. Interesting, but DXM and alcohol have a very different affinity profile and effects. Dunno why you would compare them?

Gray

For some reason they feel very similar, just not high doses of DXM. Low doses feel like alcohol.

Gray

Probably true, but you need to be very drunk to get NMDA activity, low doses definitely feel GABAergic, but to me because it seems to lower the seizure threshold, in doesn't numb the senses like high doses.

Oskar

DXM is a bit complicated, but its not gaba-ergic (directly).
See the GABA-A receptor is a chloride channel, its not a very common receptor type. Its not like a GPCR that is a very common receptor type.