Anyone know if 4-subbed tryptamines coupled with Seroquel can cause a sudden uncomfortable nausea and needing to lie down?

Aaden Newman

I had to abort a trip and used Seroquel and it felt like my receptors were battling it out against the agonists and antagonists.

Steven Hurley

Why would you take Seroquel with anything?

4 subbed tryptamines is not very specific. There is of course the 5HT 3 Receptor. Check the nausea channel for the picture there. There are very well known anti-emetics called Setrons (Ondansetron for example). They are inhibiting 5HT 3 receptors and therefore reduce nausea.

What that means is: it's not surprising that tryptamines (that act on a number of different 5HT-receptors [5HT = 5 Hydroxytryptamine = Serotonin]) can cause nausea(edited)

You don't need Quetiapine (that's the acting ingredient in Seroquel) to explain nausea, but it definitely is a bad idea to mix antipsychotics with any psychedelic. As you mentioned, you are blocking the receptors, at least some of them, and the outcome is not foreseeable.

Aaden Newman

That's a really great answer to my question. I took the Seroquel to stop the trip and get some rest. I was shocked at their mixture since that kind of effect rarely happens to me, usually it's just a gradual fallback into sobriety but this time it was uncomfortable. I suppose Seroquel is a bit of a 'dirty drug' in that it hits several receptors.

I took also hits several serotonin receptors at very strong Ki values

Steven Hurley

I'd strongly recommend against taking some kind of drug to make the psychedelic trip end. Benzodiazepines are very useful in such situations but should be reserved to emergency situations (panic attacks).

Best to let the trip end naturally. I understand that Quetiapine makes you sleepy and you thought it would let you sleep easier, but it's actually not made for that. It has many other effects other than sedation and is simply not made for it. You could drink a little bit of alcohol as it also decreases the effects of the psychedelics (similar effect to benzodiazepines). So if you really need to get some sleep you would probably do better with a glass of beer rather than Seroquel.

Steven Hurley

Glad I could help. If you studied the picture I just posted above, you will see what receptors cause nausea. Dopamine is next to serotonin very prominent to cause nausea.

That's why D2 Antagonists like MCP and Domperidone are useful anti-emetics.

Last edited: